1 pork’s front leg (pata)
1 bottle 7-Up or Sprite
1+1/2 cups water
1 tbsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. MSG
2 tbsp. patis or fish sauce
2 tbsp. flour
Oil for deep-frying
How to cook Crispy Pata:
- Clean pata and slit skin (3-4 slits on both sides) without cutting bone. Place in a deep pan with a tight cover.
- Add water, 7 Up and salt. Bring to a boil after 15 minutes, add baking soda. Baking soda will hasten the softening of the pata’s skin. Continue cooking.
- If water dries up and pata is not yet done, add another cup of water. Meat should not be too tender. Drain when done.
- Hang for 1 day or place in refrigerator overnight to make skin dry. Before frying, brush with patis and sprinkle with flour generously.
- Deep fry until crispy and golden brown. Put off heat and pour 1/4 cup water. This will make the skin more crispy.
Serve with this sauce:
- Vinegar with 2 cloves garlic (crushed), a little salt, pepper and 1 small hot pepper (siting labuyo).